Assistant Director, Camp Chi
JCC Chicago’s Camp Chi is one of the Midwest’s premier resident camps. Each summer, Camp Chi serves 1,200+ boys and girls in 4th-11th grade through two-, four- and eight-week camp sessions. Set on 600 acres near the Wisconsin Dells, Chi offers the best facilities and over 30 specialty activities that aim to build campers’ skills and boost self esteem.
Due to our continued growth, JCC is adding a new member to our Camp Chi Management team!
Summer Location: Camp Chi in Lake Delton, WI
Fall-Spring Office: Mayer Kaplan JCC, Skokie
The Assistant Director serves as a member of the Camp Chi management team in creating the vision for and the development and implementation of programs that shape and define the Camp Chi experience. The Assistant Director plays the lead role in staff recruitment, which includes the sourcing,interviewing and hiring of staff both for summer and year round programs. In addition, the Assistant Directoris responsible for creating and implementing the highest level of specialty activities in camp and plays a key role in fostering and maintainingrelationships with campers, parents and staff.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work with the Associate Director and Manager of Human Resources to develop and implement a vision and strategy for staff recruitment.
- Recruit staff through web presence, social media, job posting, university visits, and International job fairs.
- Foster and maintain relationships with college career centers, campus activity groups, Hillels and graduate programs to increase awareness and interest on college campuses, increasing the applicant pool.
- Serve as main point of contact with international staffing agencies.
- Work with Jewish Agency to hire Shlichim.
- Work with JCC department heads to identify candidates that could work at camp.
- Screen and interview all applicants including face to face, Skype and phone interviews.
- Create and implement plan for ongoing connection and communication with existing staff.
- Work with Marketing Manager to create support materials needed for staff recruitment.
- Manage the staff recruitment and personnel budget.
- Manage staff contracts; Work with Administrative Manager to establish processes and procedures for follow up and follow through on the collection and processing of all staff paperwork including visas, medicals, etc.
- Manage CampMinder staff section.
- Create and update summer staff job descriptions.
- Work with the Resident Camp Team to develop the vision and strategy forhigh quality specialty activities at camp such as Sports, Water-ski, Horseback, Video, Radio, Dance, etc.
- Review and adapt specialty offerings to be relevant and compelling in today’s market.
- Supervise area leaders – during the summer months
- Work with area leaders around training, quality, and safety of each specialty.
- Work with outside resources to help and define the specialty programs.
- Develop and implement a staff recreation plan.
- Serve as liaison for day camps and visiting groups.
- Bachelors Degree in Education, Recreation, Jewish Studies, Social Work, Business or related OR unrelated degree with progressively responsible year round experience in resident camping.
- Masters Degree in Education, Social Work or Non-Profit Management preferred.
- 3+ years previous year around supervisory and management experience in a camping environment required (overnight camping environment preferred).
- Demonstrated success interviewing and hiring of staff required.
- Proficiency and experience utilizing various forms of Social Media to communicate and connect with staff and program participants.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Judaica.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and databases with the ability to learn other technology as required.
- Budget and business management experience preferred.
Click to apply