The Young Actors Ensemble
The Young Actors Ensemble provides a unique opportunity for young people ages 8-18 to shine onstage and behind-the-scenes in three productions this season. Our ensemble is process-oriented, child-centered and committed to creating high quality theater. Participants love honing their talents in a true theater atmosphere, surrounded by co-actors and staff members who are like family. Audience members know our theater program for exciting, engaging family entertainment.
NEW! Classes for Winter & Spring!
Young Actors Ensemble will be offering exciting new theater classes for all ages and levels this Winter and Spring. Taught by theater professionals, actors (and those interested in acting) will explore the thrilling worlds of acting and improv. (Program locations vary)
- Create a play: A workshop where the children, through the help of the instructor, use storytelling to create a mini-play (Bernard Weinger JCC)
- J Prov: Learn to create interesting characters and hilarious scenes by using improv games and techniques.
- Exploring the art of acting: This workshop uses children's literature and storytelling to create original plays and promotes imaginative thinking through theatre games.
- Little Movers and Shakers: Each class will be a different theme, and all students will have the opportunity to dive into a storybook, make up characters or just dance the day away.
- Dramarama: Each class will be a different theme, and all students will have the opportunity to dive into a storybook, make up characters or just dance the day away. (Florence G. Heller JCC)
- Hip Hop Dance: A high energy class that combines the latest hip-hop dance moves with the latest music in fun routines.
Another great way to stay involved . . .
Youth Advisory Committee (YAC)
YAC is a student-run committee devoted to enhancing the theater department through volunteer service, community-building social activities, and special events like talent shows, movie nights, and theme parties. Anyone between the ages of 11-18 who has participated in at least one Young Actors Ensemble play can join YAC.
- President(s): Hannah Antman & Sam Rosenfeld
- Secretary: Celia Denman
- Event Coordinator: Leah Sherin
- Treasurer: Yacov Greenspan
Elections are held once a year. Officers serve a one-year term after which they may run again for the same, or a different, office.
For further information about any of these programs,
contact Theater Director
And for Serious Theater Fun in the Summer!
Performing Arts Camp (PAC)
PAC: Children entering grades 3-5 develop new skills, make friends and have tons of fun in workshops including theater games, music, dance, mime, improv, make-up and more! Weekly field trips and swimming 4 days a week. Everyone is cast in the end-of-session play! For more information, click here
PAC Plus: Young people entering grades 6-9 enjoy honing and expanding their skills among peers who share their love of theater. More advanced workshops for the older, more experienced performers include: monologues, scene study, auditioning, singing, dance, and design. Weekly field trips and swimming 4 days a week. Each session concludes with a Broadway Revue show featuring numbers from hit Broadway musicals!